The past 1.5 years I’ve been working exclusively with Web Components and specifically Polymer. The more I use this technology the more convinced I am that this is the technology I should be using. Now, I’m not saying that Web Components and Polymer are hammers and every problem/project is a nail. However it’s quite refreshing that Polymer’s goal is to make itself irrelevant. What does that mean, Polymer is there temporarily until the browsers decide upon common standards and implement those standards.
This week I attended MWLUG in Alexandria, VA. This was an awesome event, so many good speakers, good content and excellent camaraderie. I can’t say it enough, but Richard Moy and his team put on such a good event.
I’ve been using Evernote for a few years now and have enjoyed it’s feature set and the ability to plan and document a complex project (namely home/shop projects) with shopping lists, ideas, etc. But recently every time I attempt to use Evernote to create a quick note or maybe just jot something down, I’m presented with a request to upgrade to a pay plan, or to update or just general advertising. I can no longer just open it and create a note.
Merry Christmas!! I hope everyone is having a great holiday. I thought now might be a good time to look back over the year and review some of the technology I’ve dealt with.
Surface Pro 4: Last year I got a Surface Pro 4 tablet. I started the process of switching to it instead of my aging MacBook Pro. While I REALLY like the hardware and how everything works there were just a few issues which got on my nerves so bad I couldn’t ever completely make the switch.
So you’ve created your shiny new web application using DDS and everything is really cool, except for the display of rich text. You’ve figured out that there is a multipart MIME object in the JSON delivered by DDS, and it has the HTML in that, but it still looks crappy. It has tags littered throughout and just doesn’t look good.
Well, I think I’ve got the solution for you. If you look at that multipart MIME Object and find the ‘text/html’
At MWLUG a lot of people seemed surprised that I would create a component just for an avatar. My response to that is why wouldn’t you build an avatar component? So, in this post I’m going to show you how to build one for your applications.
Let’s start out with the use case. We want to show an avatar for a person in various locations throughout our application. This avatar should do a few different things:
- Should show a picture of a person if one is attached to their person document
- If no picture is available and the person is in the domino directory should show the first letter of their first name and have a background color that is the same throughout the system
- If the person is not in the domino directory just show a person icon
- Should be able to click the avatar and it should do something (i.e.
I had a great time at MWLUG this year. It was great to see so many familiar faces and friends, most of which I only see at the user groups. But, I just got home and thought I would share some of my thoughts and observations about the event and my take away about the state of our beloved Notes. As usual Richard Moy put together a great conference, so many thanks to him for making that event possible.
I’ve been messing with the Polymer vaadin-grid. If you enable hidable columns, a little graphic svg icon shows in the top right hand corner of the grid that produces a drop down menu of all the columns in the grid. You click one and it’ll hide that column.
This was working great when running from my local gulp server. However when I put it on Domino, the little icon wasn’t showing,