I had a need to enable drag-n-drop for a particular part of our portal. In the past I’ve always used jQuery-UI as it’s quite easy to enable drag-n-drop. Doing some research I came across a StackOverflow question about enabling drag-n-drop with Polymer. One of the answers mentioned sortablejs. This is a very minimalist library to enable drag-n-drop. Best part about this library is that it has a port for Polymer.
For about the last 6 to 8 months I’ve been doing a lot of development using Polymer Web Components. I started with the 0.5 developer release version. My experience so far has been a little bitter sweet. Using version 0.5 I had to jump quite a few hoops to get things working, but once I figured out the patterns all was well with the world.
In the Beginning
I had chosen to use Backbone Marionette for the MVC architecture for my apps.
Welcome to keithstric.me. The new home of my blog. Due to my inaction I ended up loosing keithstric.com. I was able to move the past 10 years worth of blog posts here, but I’m still missing the first 4 years of posts. Oh well, guess that’s what happens when you ignore a problem. But let’s get to my rant.
I’m building an application using just Polymer. It’s a RESTful application so all server communication is via AJAX requests.
So today while looking for a solution to handling an HTML5 event of onSearch I came across this technique, which, probably isn't the best approach but does work. So, if you look at the client side events of an inputText field, you'll notice there isn't an event for onSearch. So, how do you add one? Well, you could of course go pass-thru html and just code the field as you would a Plain Jane HTML field.
Let's first look at a Force Directed Layout.
Over on Matt White ‘s website he posted a video of the Flash Builder Reverse Debugger which is really cool. It shows the ability (among others) for a user when they encounter an error in the application they’re using being able to send a debug file to the developer. Once the developer gets this file he/she can load it up in the debugger and see exactly what they were doing when they encountered the error including variable values and the like.
While going through the blogosphere today I saw a post on Bob Balfe’s blog pointing to the The Dojo Toolkit Blog (which I added to my reader, thanks Bob). On that blog I saw a post talking about Dojo and MooTools joining forces which will be called dojools. During this transition both frameworks will be loosing and gaining parts of their respective APIs.