As web developers the ability to troubleshoot a web application is a very important part of the development process. To be able to see what’s happening and understand what may be causing a certain behavior is key and should be employed during the entire development process, not only when something is broken. In this series I will outline my process of troubleshooting web applications.
First off the tools. While there used to be a hand full of tools you might use now you only need one,
- Performs and records all AJAX requests
- Provides a basic PubSub system
- Provides a basic Request/Response service
- Provides a global variable to interact with the context
The entire idea here is to provide a communication channel similar to that found in Backbone/Backbone Marionette for application specific communication.
Over the past few months I’ve started working pretty extensively with TypeScript. For those of you who don’t know what TypeScript is:
If you followed Peter’s series on replacing Lotus he outlined some of the pitfalls, processes and decision points to undertake for success. I wanted to point out the technical side to a lot of those decisions. The short answer is that you need a tool to surface your domino data en-masse until such a time when decisions are made on each application. I have been working on that solution for quite some time now and I have to say,
This week I attended MWLUG in Alexandria, VA. This was an awesome event, so many good speakers, good content and excellent camaraderie. I can’t say it enough, but Richard Moy and his team put on such a good event.
I had a need to enable drag-n-drop for a particular part of our portal. In the past I’ve always used jQuery-UI as it’s quite easy to enable drag-n-drop. Doing some research I came across a StackOverflow question about enabling drag-n-drop with Polymer. One of the answers mentioned sortablejs. This is a very minimalist library to enable drag-n-drop. Best part about this library is that it has a port for Polymer.
For about the last 6 to 8 months I’ve been doing a lot of development using Polymer Web Components. I started with the 0.5 developer release version. My experience so far has been a little bitter sweet. Using version 0.5 I had to jump quite a few hoops to get things working, but once I figured out the patterns all was well with the world.
In the Beginning
I had chosen to use Backbone Marionette for the MVC architecture for my apps.
Welcome to keithstric.me. The new home of my blog. Due to my inaction I ended up loosing keithstric.com. I was able to move the past 10 years worth of blog posts here, but I’m still missing the first 4 years of posts. Oh well, guess that’s what happens when you ignore a problem. But let’s get to my rant.
I’m building an application using just Polymer. It’s a RESTful application so all server communication is via AJAX requests.