I’ve been working on this huge application that was written years ago and is
full of hard coding of server/database names, email addresses, etc. These
databases also usually have many script libraries that contain no functions,
only sub-routines. These sub-routines do not return any values and mostly
modify the values in a document somewhere. I really don’t like this technique,
I prefer to use functions that return a value, this way at least the function
is kind-of reusable,
I’ve been working on a reservations application for my employer and one of the requirements was for a picture to be provided of a resource and for that picture to show up in the reservation. Now that sounds like a simple enough request but unfortunately it’s easier said than done, or so it seems. Now, the normal way to do this is to create a “Computed Text” area with a value containing an tag with the appropriate URL to the image.
Over the past 24 hours I’ve been trying my hand at composite applications. Needless to say I haven’t been making much headway. I’ve found several tutorials on them but the tutorials already have some of the wiring properties, code and property assignment to actions in the demo databases. Also, going through the tutorials, they don’t explain why you do something a particular way. I’m the type of person who needs the why in order to learn something new.
My place of employement is starting to roll out Lotus Notes 8.0.1 standard. I’ve been using it now for a few weeks and thought I would post up my initial impressions and a quick review.
- The UI is gorgeous, but we all knew that.
- No problems with backward compatibility, so far
- Composite apps, more on that later
- The sidebar able to accept Google Widgets
This weekend I installed Lotus Domino 8.0 on Open SuSE Linux 11. The install process went pretty flawlessly and no errors were encountered until I went to start the Domino Server, with the exception of a warning that SuSE 11 isn’t supported, but I’ll get to that in a second. My Linux box is a basic computer with a Pentium celeron processor running at 1.8 GHZ with 700 MB RAM and 3 disk drives totalling about 350 GB.
Here’s another freebie for you. A simple little app that doesn’t even save any documents but provides a means to lookup users to see what groups they’re a member of or to lookup groups to see who is a member of them. It’ll use the Domino Directory on whatever server the database resides. Pretty simple really. But you can find it over in the downloads section.
I’ve posted a little DB I developed for copying databases over in the downloads section. It works OK, especially for the price
I can understand the all too often common perception that Notes is bad or out dated or insert your own complaint or whatever. I’ve recently moved to an organization that is a very large notes shop. Some of the apps are very old to say the least and badly written. I can and usually do spend hours trying to figure out where an element is getting it’s sometimes 5 deep of computed values, value from.
After reading the Event Binding series over on Tim Tripcony ‘s website I found something useful for the DominoField Class that I wrote about a while back.
The idea was if I could get a handle on the Field class for a particular field I could run a postopen event of a document, collect all the fields as an instance of the DominoField class in the array and then define my own events or extend the built in events for each field on the document.
OK, I’ve made a few more updates to the ExcelData class and fixed a few bugs. You can find it over in the downloads section. I hope you find it useful.